Friday, October 21, 2011

Basic Evergreen Install is Working

Yesterday, I worked on installing Evergreen and PostgreSQL. It took some time but overall went smoother than I was expecting.

I ran into a little difficulty with PostgreSQL. The Evergreen documentation assumed I was going install it from source as, apparently, at the time the documentation was written, the Linux distros weren't supporting the correct versions as installable packages. However, I had no problem finding a PostgreSQL 8.4 package. This installed beautifully and I merrily continued on my way until step 11a. Then, I got this message:
createlang: language installation failed: ERROR: could not access file "$libdir/plperl": No such file or directory
I showed it to my husband and he suggested I was missing a required PostgreSQL package which was indeed the case. In addition to the basic package, I also had to install postgresql-plperl-8.4 and postgresql-contrib. After those two additional packages were installed, I didn't run into any further problems with the PostgreSQL configuration.

I also had a bit of trouble near the very end when I was trying to start Evergreen. After typing in osrf_ctl.sh -l -a start_all, I got a message similar to this:
Use of uninitialized value $@ in concatenation (.) or string at
/usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/OpenSRF/Transport/SlimJabber/Client.pm line
152.
Exception: OpenSRF::EX::Jabber 2011-05-19T11:25:34
OpenSRF::Transport::SlimJabber::Client
/usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/OpenSRF/Transport/SlimJabber/Client.pm:152
Jabber Exception: Could not authenticate with Jabber server:
After a little searching, I found a post saying that if you got this error, opensrf_core.xml hadn't been configured with the correct passwords for ejabberd. This made perfect sense once I thought about it. During the initial opensrf configuration, I had added the appropriate passwords to this file. However, as part of the Evergreen install the documentation told me replace the opensrf_core.xml file I had added the password to with an example file. I'm still not sure why it told me to do this. Maybe there is a difference between the two file but if so, it would have been helpful to have an explicit reminder to add the passwords back in again.

These were the only two issues I ran into. Installing Evergreen was certainly more straightforward than a lot of other installs I've tried to work my way through. The 2.0 documentation seems a little sparse at the moment but when I had questions, I went back to the 1.6 documentation and usually found my answer.

At this point, I've verified that both the staff client and OPAC are accessible. My next step is to start configuring the Evergreen settings for locations, circ policies, staff users, etc. I've briefly glanced through the staff interface and decided that it's different enough from Horizon that I'm going to need the documentation in order to figure out the best way to set everything up. It should be fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment