Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Documentation

It was probably a bad idea to try and start a personal development project right before vacation and then family visiting. However, at this moment, life is mostly back to normal. I haven't done much thinking about Evergreen other than knowing that I'll want to install at least 2.0 or later. As I understand it, this is the first version that provides acquisitions. Acquisitions is a big deal for my library and is one reason we didn't consider Evergreen the last time we looked at ILS options.

My husband is going to hook me up with an Ubuntu VM to load Evergreen. Until he has a chance to do that, I'm going to read documentation. When I first started as a Horizon sys admin I didn't have a clue what I was doing so I sat down and read the manuals from cover to cover. Maybe that's a little weird but it seemed to work. So, I'm going to try this with Evergreen also. I've already realized there's a bit of difference between documentation provided by a proprietary vendor and documentation created by the proselytizing users. However, it's a place to start. I've also subscribed to a couple of Evergreen-related blogs. Eventually, I'll probably end up subscribing to one or more of the mailing lists but I think those might be a little overwhelming at first.

No comments:

Post a Comment